London Miles recently had a virtual chat with California based sculptor, Derek Wiesberg. We thought it would be a good idea to share with you just what this truly talented fella has been up to and what makes him create his impressively detailed characters.
1. Your mediums of choice:
2. Three words to describe your artwork:
3. What inspires you to create the characters you do? Life inspires me. My world and the world around me, my relationships and experiences. I am interested in depicting human emotions and the human condition. The stylization of the figures is meant to emphasis these emotions, for example the eyes wide set is a way to convey and express ideas of vulnerability, prey and disfunction. Really everything that comes into my eyes, ears, thoughts whatever inspires the work.
5. How old were you when you started sculpting?
6. How long does one take to complete?
7. What are you working on at the moment?
8. Which piece of yours is your favourite or one that you are most proud
of? Do you have an image of it?
10. Favourite music to listen to while working.
11. Do you work in the day or are you a night owl?
I'm a Lark and an Owl, wake up early, go to sleep late, and work those feathers to the bone the whole time in between.
Visit Derek's Weisberg website and see his complete portfolio: